Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Remembering Cliff on his Birthday

Margie was 1 year and 1 day older than Cliff. Her birthday was yesterday and he was born on April Fools Day. My story about Cliff will be about an April Fools Joke played on Cliff on his birthday.

Cliff always gave Margie grief on her birthday, because for a day, she was two years older than him. Cliff would have been 77 years old today. I have many, many stories to tell about this great man.

My story takes place sometime in the mid to late 90's on his birthday. Cliff had developed an irregular heartbeat that had hospitalized him on several occasions. This time the was in the short stay unit at Seaton Hospital in downtown Austin. This was an area that patients could stay without being admitted to the hospital. It kind of looked like an ER room, but on this occasion, Cliff had his own little room about 10 foot square. He had been there most of the week. The problem was that the Short Stay Unit closed down on the weekends. You either had to leave the hospital or be admitted. Cliff still had the irregular heartbeat. So, it was determined that he would be admitted and sent to the fourth floor. It was a Friday and I had spent most of the afternoon with him and I knew he was going upstairs.
Carla stayed behind with her dad, but I left and went the the Manchaca Fire Hall to see my mom and dad.

My mom is a great practical joke and wanted to pay Cliff back for a joke that he had played on her years ago. She saw her opportunity. She talked Cindy Vogel Goll into calling Cliff on the phone and posing as the nurse from the fourth floor.

Carla was with her dad when he received the call. Carla did not know about the joke being played on Cliff.

Cindy, very professionally told Cliff that she was informed that he was coming to the fourth floor and wanted to ask him some basic questions.

She asked about his family, living will, religious affiliation and most pertinent questions that would not arouse any suspicion. Carla said that her dad was going along and answering each question, putting in his own two cents worth about his family. He bragged on everybody. This went on for a few minutes and finally Cindy told Cliff she had one last question. He asked what that may be.

She said, "Mr. Cravatt, what color condoms do your prefer". Cliff knew that he had been had immediately and asked Cindy what color she preferred. Carla said that her dad turned beet red and if you knew Cliff you would appreciate that.

He accused me for years of setting that up, but I didn't do anything but tell my mom Cliff's condition.

We have laughed about this for years and remember it happened on his birthday, April Fool's Day. My mom got him.

Finally, I worked for two days to put this video online and I hope that you can see it. I found a short video of Cliff and wanted to share it with you.

http://www.screencast.com/users/tuckspop/folders/Jing/media/8fc9d543-373b-4060-a6c7-0ab1dca859ab

I don't know if you can just click on the http address above or if you will have to copy and paste it into another window. Let me know if you need help.

Hope you enjoy it.
We love you Cliff, Happy Birthday.

Carla and Mike

No comments: