Friday, April 17, 2009

Our Honeymoon or the Bright Lights of Galveston

After spending our first night together at the Hilton Hotel near Highland Mall, we left for Galveston the next morning. We only had a couple of days to spend on a honeymoon.

This was the first time that Carla had ever spent a day away from Christi. This was very difficult for her. I was opening a shop in two weeks and I had to get back to Austin as soon as I could.

I just wanted to tell you about the bright lights of Galveston. We made reservations to stay at Guido’s. http://www.gaidosofgalveston.com/ We stayed at the motel there and spent time walking up and down the Galveston Seawall. I think it was probably the second night that we were there that we went to eat at Guido’s Restaurant. A very nice place with white tablecloths and very good seafood. I remember we had a table that was looking out at the Galveston Seawall and the ocean. I had a good plate of fried shrimp and a dozen raw oysters. We were having a good time, when all of a sudden, all I could see was Carla in front of me. Everything was turning black. It looked like I was looking out a pipe. I took some deep breaths and finally it went away. I didn’t tell Carla at the time because I didn’t want to scare her. But I nearly passed out right there.

We went back to the room and I told her what had happened. It scared her really bad. She insisted that we go the hospital and get it checked out. Well, the bright lights of Galveston are the lights in the emergency room at the hospital there. Here I was on my honeymoon and I was waiting to be seen in the emergency room. Carla thought this marriage might not last as long as the first one and it didn’t last a year. This marriage was only a few days old.

The doctors ran and EKG and blood tests and everything came back normal. I remember the doctor talking to me about what was going on in my life and I told him about just getting married, the funerals, and opening a shop. He said, “Young man, you are stressed out. You are ok, but you need to settle down”. Like a miracle the chest pains that I had been having went away. I was ok. I had married the gal that I had loved forever and I was going to live on.

Dang, now you know, I spent the third night of my wedded life in the emergency room in Galveston, Texas. That’s pretty embarrassing.

Got to laugh now. Watch the video, it's pretty funny.

No comments: