Tuesday, April 7, 2009

The Dreaded Flip Flop

Plop, plop,plop,plop. While I was lying in my bed, snuggled up against the cold morning, those were the sounds that I woke up to. I could hear those plopping sounds coming down the hallway. Not again today, not the dreaded flip flops.

I just recalled something from my childhood. The house that we lived in had a long hall to the bedrooms. My brother and I shared the bedroom that was at the end of the hall on the left.

I can remember mornings and waking up and having to get ready to go to school. Mom was always up real early. She fixed breakfast for dad and us and got everything ready for us to go to school. I remember lying in bed in the mornings not wanting to get up. Just wanting to lie there for a few more minutes.

My mom always wore flip-flops. I am not sure but I think she did this on purpose to wake us kids up. She would walk down the halls and make the most popping sound with those flip-flops. I could hear her coming from the kitchen. Those flip-flops were an everyday sound in my childhood. As irritating as they were then, I kind of miss them now.

It’s funny how you somehow remember a memory that you thought that you had forgotten. Great memory.

Coming Tomorrow, David Hill, Family Member

No comments: