Thursday, April 16, 2009

Our Engagement, Part IV, 2 Funerals

We were so happy in the weeks after January 16. I was so excited that I was telling everyone. Since Margie (Carla’s mom) knew, the whole world would soon know. One of the many people we went to tell was Granny and Papaw Jim. Margie’s mom and dad. Granny (Minnie Cox Heffington) was something else. I have many stories to tell about that woman, but she was one of my biggest fans. Papaw Jim, (you met him in the horse racing story) was a wonderful man that couldn’t say anything bad about anybody.

We went and told them about our upcoming marriage (I am pretty sure we hadn’t set the date) and they were thrilled. I just remember getting a kiss from Granny. Ever since I had known her she was a frail little woman (around 100 lbs.). She was so happy.

She had wanted Carla and I to marry ever since I started dating Carla. You see, one of my biggest problems was that everyone in Carla’s family wanted her to marry me. She felt a lot of pressure from that. But heck, it’s better than them hating you. Besides, Granny was a real treasure.

Sometimes around Valentine’s Day (My Grandmother’s Birthday), I got a call early in the morning. It was Margie and she was crying. I asked, “What’s wrong”. She said,” It’s Mom”. Granny had passed away in her sleep, she was 75 years old. Papaw Jim had called Margie that morning and told her he couldn’t get Granny to get up and he was afraid that she had died. I can't imagine the horror. Margie told me that Carla didn’t know and that I should go to her. Carla was very, very close to Granny. Wow, knock me down, I hurried to Carla and told her. It was a very emotional time. We were counting on Granny to be at the wedding. But we talked about it and we knew that Granny died knowing that Carla and I were going to be married.

It was a tough couple of days. In the meantime, I had found out that Charlie Pannell, my brother in law’s dad was in the hospital. He was in intensive care but seemed to be getting better. Charlie was like an uncle to me. He and his wife, Dorothy, had stood up and witnessed my Mom and Dad’s wedding. I got to tell you he was quite a character. Dorothy and Charlie had been divorced for a couple of years. Charlie never recovered from the divorce. His health and well being spiraled down and down after the divorce.

About the time we were preparing for Granny’s funeral, we got the news that Charlie had died. Just a couple of days before, they had put him in a regular room out of intensive care. Apparently they didn’t roll him over and he caught pneumonia. He died two days after getting in a regular room.

This was a blow. Charlie was my Dad’s best friend. Dad really suffered from this. Dad had suffered when Dot and Charlie got divorced.

So, a few days after Granny’s funeral, we went to Charlie’s funeral. Carla had lost a grandmother and I had lost a man that was like an uncle to me. This was a tough week.

I wanted to honor these two loved ones. I came up with a Willie Nelson video, singing; "Amazing Grace". My second grandson is nameed after Willie. This is a great rendition of the song. Listen.


Find more about Willie at; http://willienelson.com/

Tomorrow; Opening a New Shop!

No comments: