Saturday, May 9, 2009

Emma

First of all, I want to say that Emma is now the most popular name for girls. Way to go, Emma. Emma is my 3-year-old granddaughter.

While she may be only 3, she is the youngest child. She has a brother, Willie that is just 1 year older than her. She keeps up with him all the time. Emma is so much like my daughter it is scary. My daughter, Christi, is a great athlete. She played all the sports growing up. She played tball at 5 years old. She absolutely loved sports and competing. She would run over you if it meant scoring a run, a basket in basketball, or an ace in volleyball. She even played goalie one time in high school soccer with a cast on one leg. The team didn’t have a goalie and Christi volunteered even though she had never played soccer before.

We got to spend a weekend with the grandkids a couple of weeks ago. Christi took us out back and showed us how Emma could hit. She would pitch a waffle ball and Emma would hit it most of the time. What impressed me most was that you could tell she never took her eyes off of the ball and that she had a good batting stance. I don’t know if you can teach that to a 3 year old, I think it is more instinct. Emma could hit the ball.

This story is from just a couple of days ago. Emma and Willie go to the same day care. This day care is in the home of the caretaker. The other day, the little boys were outside with their bats. They were trying to hit a ball off of a T. Most of them were having little luck. They couldn’t seem to hit the waffle ball off of the T. Emma stood patiently in line for her turn. When it came her turn, they told her she couldn’t hit. “Girls can’t hit”, is what they told her. Not taking no for an answer, Emma got her turn. My daughter was watching. Emma not only hit the ball, she hit it over the back yard fence. She had to go get the ball. Now the boys were all saying, “I wish I could hit the ball like Emma”.

Its funny how you can tell athletes at an early age. It just comes natural to them. I swear they are born with it. She’s only 3, but watch out sports world. I don’t know what her sport will be, but she will excel. She can dribble a ball with both her right and left hand.

All I can say is, “Go Emma”. The world is your stage.

Love,
Grammy and Pop

I wanted to include a video with music and girls playing softball. Hope that Emma gets to see this video.

No comments: